So you want to go green with your makeup, but are not sure where to start. Well let’s take a look at simple ways to begin a more sustainable beauty regime.
1. Go organic – Keep it real and keep it clean. Isn’t that the way to go for the most precious of cells in our bodies, our skin. Organic labeled skin care products are free of many of the nasty unhealthy chemicals which dry, dull and even prematurely age the skin. Sometimes even damage it. Look for skin care items that have the USDA organic label on them, this assures that the item is indeed organic.
2. Go local – Visit your local beauty boutiques and see what they have to offer. You will be pleasantly surprised at the goodies set out just for you, the local.
3. Go homemade – Did you know pumpkin is great for the skin? As is a variety of fruits. Google natural skin care remedies and you’ll be greeted with many ideas and tips on how to use everyday food for the skin.
4. Go all natural - The old saying goes, “if you can’t pronounce it, it isn’t natural”. So for example, look at the label of your eyeshadow. Are there all sorts of un-pronounceables? If so, it’s time to ditch. Instead look for ingredients you know, it should read like some sort of food item. The more ingredients you can pronounce, the better.
5. Go cruelty-free – Perhaps one of the best ways to green your makeup is to consider makeup products that have not been tested on animals or carry any animal ingredient. A great resource for this is the Leaping Bunny website, here they list, rate and make sure companies keep it animal-free and cruelty-free.
These are but a few ideas on how to make your make-up more sustainable and eco friendly. Feel free to share your own personal tips below.