Launching in Baltimore first, then other cities Relay Rides is set to make car sharing a hip cool GREEN thing.
If you live in or around the Baltimore area and have a car that sits alot in your driveway or you need easy access to a car, then give RelayRides a good look. They’re essentially a matchmaking service for car owners and car renters, and ensure that the following is met before either agree to the service:
- no keys are ever exchanged, as a device is installed on vehicles to allow keyless entry
- insurance is provided to the car owner
- renters are checked out, prior to renting
- rating system in place
- cars can be rented by the hour or by the day
- owner establishes rental rate
- RelayRides covers owner in case of loss
- service set to launch in other cities
This is not new as other companies such as ZipCar do the same thing, but will this ever truly take off as an alternative to public transportation and or carpooling? That is the THE question.