Looking to throw an eco friendly Halloween party this year? Let’s take a look at a few tips to get you there.
image via Green Lifestyle Magazine
1. Organic Candy – one easy way to green up your Halloween party this year is to buy (or make) organic candy. What is organic candy? It’s candy that has all the good stuff, such as natural and healthy ingredients. No corn fructose, sugar or other artificial gook. There’s plenty to be found in your town’s grocery aisles or you can always pay a friendly visit to your local Whole Foods.
2. Easy on the Decorations – you can go all Griswold and decorate like your life depended on it. Or you can opt instead to keep it simple and not buy “four figures” worth of decorations. Other options include reusing your set from last year or borrowing unused stuff from your neighbor, family or friends. Exchange decorations with your social network or just keep it simple this year, because if you set out to have a good time, no one will even notice.
3. Buy Local – this is always an easy way to support the sustainable movement, not too mention your neighborhood. Visit your local Halloween shops and keep the economy flowing right in your own backyard.
4. DIY Costumes – if you’re not handy or crafty, this may not be an easy option for you. But it is affordable and easy on the Environment, so it’s worth a good look. There are many articles on the net that espouse the DIY route when it comes to costumes for your family. Perform a quick search for “DIY costume” and you will see many options pop up, including easy and quick costumes made from household items or the more complicated but amazing variety involving store bought items and lots of patience.
5. Shop Online – this is my favorite option because I loathe shopping in stores, especially during busy Holiday periods. Hate it with an extreme passion. If you’re anything like me (god help you) than shopping online for your hot costumes or Halloween accessories is where it’s at. You can browse around without bumping into people, ask questions without rude service and best of all – you can find really good deals in the form of coupons or discount codes at many online Halloween costume shops.