We last learned how to collect and use rainwater, now we move on to a topic the DIY crowd will appreciate, how to make your own rain barrel.
The video below captures an easy tutorial on a DIY rain barrel. Essentially you will need a food quality plastic barrel, which you can get for cheap from a local food processing facility, agri supply or feed supply shop. The rest of the supplies can be obtained from any local hardware store.
A good rain shower can yield several hundred gallons of water. Conserve this awesomeness for use later.
1. Make sure you place or install the rain barrels on a level surface, as the barrels will get heavy once filled with water.
2. You want to make sure you keep small critters and debris out of your collected water, and you can achieve this, by installing mesh screens and covers on your rain barrel. You don’t want standing water attracting unsavory types, such as mosquitoes.
3. Take note of the weather, as cold temps ice and snow could possibly (or most likely) crack your rain barrel and destroy it.
4. To avoid an overfill on your rain barrel, try adding in another or adding a device which will runoff excess water into your yard.
5. Final tip is to use the collected rainwater. That is the whole point in harvesting it.
To go the DIY route and make your own heavy duty rain barrel, watch the video below, it gives you the easy step by step.
video via YouTube