Have you jumped on the green web 2.0 bandwagon, yet? There are numerous social media sites that are aimed at socially aware individuals and some geared towards green businesses. Let’s take a look at some of the ones i use. Feel free to share your faves in the comment section.
Social Media is Here To Stay
First, lets say a little something about Social Media. A few years ago the social media revolution began with a site called Friendster. This site is one of the first to come on the scene which employed interactivity and encouraged member participation in its content.
Another site which totally blew up the social media landscape is MySpace. (link takes you to my page) (to go to the MySpace homepage, click here) With over a gazillion members, and upwards of a gagooglian visitors daily, this is the site that made social media mainstream and spawned a boatload of imitators and successors. MySpace allows members to create a personal profile, share items of interest with friends, and essentially have not only a net presence, but a social and collaborative one. Do you have a MySpace page? What do yo use it for? And who do you tend to interact with while there?
Enough about MySpace, below are my picks for social networks which are aimed at greenies and those who are environment friendly. Join, find friends, and mingle away!
6 Green Social Networks You Should Join
- Hugg – run by TreeHugger, this site allows members to post, rate, and share green related news items. I prefer the old look before they were bought out by the Discovery Channel last year, but it is still a fun and interesting site. A must join.
- Care 2 – A solid entry in the green social network space, this site is active, well managed, and features loads of great eco friendly content.
- Zaads – Recently changed their name to Gaia. This site offers an excellent opportunity to meet and mingle with those who are committed to living a planet friendly life. Many members are environmentalists, vegetarians, vegans, and others who who live, eat, and breathe nature.
- TreeHugger – If you’re looking for late breaking news on anything green living related, this is your must save in RSS reader site. Around since 2003, TH covers it all and has many goodies like a jobs board, an active forum, and as mentioned earlier: Digg like news site, Hugg.
- Twitter – This one isn’t really green per se, but it is about as web 2.0 as you can get, and it is great for meeting sharing, and staying up to date with those who also follow green. (to follow me, visit here) Twitter is addictive and lots of fun. I use it daily and it is a tool like no other on the web. Try it and see for yourself.
- Keetsa – Our community here at Keetsa is growing and we want to thank all of our readers for being a part of our small social network. If you haven’t already, be sure to subscribe to our RSS feed , jump in on any conversation, ask questions, or share a green tip with us. We are happy you visit and read us. Let us know below in the comments section, what we can do to make Keetsa more interactive, fun, and a great eco resource for you.
There are about 100 more i did not cover, this is where you come in. Please share your fave green social networks in the comments section below. Which do you use and recommend to others?